The wine-making village of Oberheimbach, which was
first documented in 1050, is situated in the idyllic
Heimbach valley, surrounded by forests and vineyards.
The inhabitants of this village originally kept
animals and worked the land, but have increasingly moved over to wine-making, which now plays a dominant role. In 1920, phylloxera, or the vine pest,
destroyed most of the vineyards, and thus threatened the wine makers' very existence - so they joined
together to fight the situation. The Heimbach valley was declared the first grape-growing region. The vines were gradually replaced with varieties that are not susceptible to the vine pest, and together with the reorganization of the area this formed the basis for healthy wine-growing operations. In addition to wine growing, tourism is becoming increasingly important.
The village aims to be recognized as a
tourist destination. Visitor attractions:
The Chapel of the Holy Cross (Heilig-Kreuz-Kapelle), built by monks in the early 12th century AD:
; St. Margaretha's
(approx. 700 inhabitants, approx. 874 ha)
For further information: www.oberheimbach.de