On October 1, 1928, the two independent
villages of Münster and Sarmsheim were merged to
form the town now known as Münster-Sarmsheim.
Finds from the early stone age and the
Hallstatt period point towards very early settlement.
Wine came to the river Nahe with the Romans, and
today hard-working wine-makers still grow grapes
on the sunny slopes. Guests can try
the local wine in a large number of vineyards, merry "Strausswirtschaften"
(specialty restaurant where all food and drink is produced by the owner's family) and
Münster-Sarmsheim is located on the Nahe wine route
and is a modern town with many clubs and associations.
The town's symbol, which is visible for miles
around, is the "blunt tower", which was built around
1490 due to a market dispute between Bingen and
Münster-Sarmsheim. Visitor attractions:
Church of St, Peter and St. Paul; Church of St. Alban;
Old town hall; "Blunt tower" ruin;
Trollbachtal conservation area with rock formations
and the Lower Nahe ("Kaffekanne" (coffee pot) and "Kamel" (camel).
(approx 3,000 inhabitants, 692 ha)
Further information: www.nahetor.com